Calculating Wage Garnishments: Keys to Better Compliance & Accuracy
One of the most frustrating payroll tasks is dealing with garnishment orders. The rules on the amounts of pay that can be subjected to garnishment orders, priority of garnishments that apply, and the Federal and state laws that come into play are complex. Failing to comply with the rules can result in costly penalties.
Join us to receive step by step guidance on how to evaluate and process the various types of garnishment orders including child support, spousal support, alimony, federal and state taxes, bankruptcy, student loans, and creditor garnishments. In this can't-miss, 120-minute webinar you'll discover:
- How to manage multiple garnishments: Which take priority
- Clear cut guidance for factoring child support wage garnishments
- Voluntary wage assignments vs. garnishments: Understanding the difference
- How to comply with withholding for other states
- Federal & state laws surrounding wage garnishments: How they apply
Garnishment Ins & Outs: Calculations & Latest Legal Compliance Issues
- State v. federal priorities and limitations - which applies when they conflict
- Disposable Earnings v. Take-home Pay: Establishing garnishment limit
- Voluntary Wage Assignment: Must you deduct? Know when & why
- Limitations on the amount that can be withheld for each type of levy
- When you may charge an administrative fee and when you may not
- How to report employee separation from employment
Multiple Garnishments: Juggling Them All While Staying Compliant
- Prioritizing different types of levies when more than one applies
- Solving the specific requirements for creditor garnishments
- Understanding the regulations & complying with different labor laws
Child Support Garnishments: How to Navigate Complex Rules
- Requirements for withholding & multiple orders
- How to calculate child support payments & disposable pay
- Lump sum payments, remitting payments & administrative fees
Live Q&A - Have your wage garnishment questions answered by the expert!
About the Speaker
Miles Hutchinson is a CGMA and experienced businessman.
- He has been an auditor with PriceWaterhouseCoopers and the Chief Financial Officer of a $1 billion real estate development company.
- Miles is a professional speaker and consultant, who has presented over 2,500 seminars and training sessions on a myriad of business and financial topics, like financial analysis and modeling, accounting, strategic planning, and compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
- Miles is recognized as an expert in payroll and sales & use tax, as well as financial modeling & analysis, leadership, business strategy and communications.
- He is the author of several useful accounting and tax tools available at www.soxpolicies.com and www.salestaxadvisors.com. Please visit his websites to see how you can further benefit from his expertise.
Learn the rules established for employers to comply with garnishment orders. Discover the employee protections from termination and when the employer may discharge an employee for having too many garnishments. Ensure that your records and practices will stand the scrutiny of an audit. Avoid the onerous penalties for noncompliance and build the best defense against them.