Form W-4 Updates: Best Practices for Accurate Information & Withholding
Now that employees are starting to look their personal income taxes, they may need to make changes to, or have questions about, their Form W-4 – and will be turning to you for answers.
In this interactive, instructor-led 60-minute program you will learn everything you need to know to accurately complete the latest Form W-4, properly calculate tax withholding, avoid errors and respond to employees’ questions.
Here’s what we’ll cover:
- Review of the most recent Form W-4 and how it is used
- Employer instructions that you need to know from Publication 15-T
- Determining the correct income tax withholding rates
- How to use the new Form W-4 including the various new tables
- And more!
The most important updates to tax withholdings
- Review of the latest form W-4
- Effective methods for handling incomplete or improperly completed forms
- Which version is required
Update your payroll process to better handle changes
- Effective strategies for streamlining your processing procedures
- How to withhold federal taxes in the absence of a valid Form W-4
- The record retention requirements for Form W-4
- Tips on setting up an electronic system for Form W-4
- Tips and tools to share with employees
Answers to your most important questions about tax withholding:
- When are we required to have an employee complete a new W-4?
- How often can employees submit a new Form W-4?
- What happens if the employee puts incorrect information on the W-4?
- What if we make a withholding error?
- When are employees required to submit a new W-4?
Question and Answer Session - Your specific questions & unique challenges will be addressed!
About the Speaker
Tricia Richardson, CPP, SPHR, SHRM-SCP has more than 25 years of experience in all aspects of workforce management (payroll processing, taxation, employee handbooks, human resources, benefits, etc.). Tricia is a Payroll and Human Resource “nerd” who enjoys reading Internal Revenue Code.
- She is a Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) through the American Payroll Association (APA), a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) through the HR Certification Institute, as well as a Society for Human Resource Management Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP).
- Tricia is a Member of the National Speakers Bureau for the American Payroll Association and a Contributing Writer to Paytech Magazine, a regular periodical provided to over 20,000 Members.
Staying compliant with changing laws about tax withholding is tricky – but with a thorough understanding of the latest Form W-4 and what it means for you, you’ll be able to navigate these changes with confidence and ease.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!
Premier Learning Solutions is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. This program is valid for 1 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org