Handling Child Support Orders: Keys to Compliance & Accuracy
Garnishment orders are among the most exasperating payroll tasks. Child support orders are especially concerning – you’re responsible for adhering to complicated rules and regulations and a child’s welfare is at stake.
To up the ante even further, failure to comply with this convoluted set of laws can result in expensive penalties for employers.
When your organization becomes tasked with child support orders, will you feel equipped to handle them?
Join us live on May 27th at 2 PM EST to learn everything you need to know about wage garnishments, including:
- How to manage multiple garnishments: Determining which take priority
- Clear-cut guidance for calculating child support wage garnishments
- Federal & state laws surrounding wage garnishments
- How to comply with withholding laws in- and out-of-state
Garnishment Ins & Outs: Calculating Eligible and Protected Wages
- Establishing garnishment limits on disposable earnings vs. take-home pay
- Limitations on the amount that can be withheld for support orders vs. other types of levy
- How to report employee separation from employment
Legal Compliance for Wage Garnishments
- Prioritizing different types of levies when more than one applies
- State and federal priorities – and what to do when they conflict
- Understanding and complying with different labor laws
Child Support Garnishments: How to Navigate Complex Rules
- Withholding requirements for multiple orders
- How to calculate child support payments and disposable pay/earnings
- Lump sum payments, remitting payments, and administrative fees
About the Speaker
Miles Hutchinson is a CGMA, experienced businessman, professional speaker, and business consultant. His career spans 6 decades from auditing with PriceWaterhouseCoopers to CFO of a one billion dollar real estate development company. He’s presented over 2,700 seminars and training sessions on a myriad of business and financial topics, including financial modeling and analysis, accounting, tax, negotiating and strategic planning. He’s an expert in payroll and business strategy and has authored several useful accounting and tax tools.
In this workshop, you’ll learn how to navigate and comply with child support garnishment orders – and how to ensure your records and practices will stand the scrutiny of an audit.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!