Multi-State Taxation: Navigating Complex Rules and Regulations
Employees who live or work in multiple states makes the already complicated tax code, withholding and IRS deposit schedule exponentially more challenging for payroll departments. You need to comply with the state-specific tax codes for each state the employee worked or lived in. Failure to properly comply with these rules can result in audits and costly fines. How can you ensure tax compliance for your multi-state employees? Join us for this informative, 60-minute program to discover:
- How to determine your payroll obligations for multi-state taxation
- Keys to withholding tax for employees working in multiple states
- Unemployment insurance: Using the four-factor test
- Ways to accurately tally taxable & nontaxable fringe benefits
- Critical resident and non-resident taxation policies you need to know
Multi-State Taxation: Keys to Determining What Payroll Needs to Do
- Who is a resident: Key definitions to determine obligation
- How reciprocal agreements affect taxation of wages
- Resident & nonresident taxation policies: SUI or income tax?
- Proper taxation for multiple state employees for each state
Key Considerations for Unemployment & Income Taxation
- The four factor test for state unemployment insurance
- Determining income & unemployment taxation of Fringe benefits
- Handling income & unemployment insurance taxation for multi-state employees
- Where is the employee subject to state unemployment insurance?
Tax Withholding for Multi-State Employees: Get it Right
- How to determine state withholding liability
- Withholding requirements when an employee is in a state temporarily
- States with Withholding Allowance Certificate, W4, both or neither
- Reporting wages for multistate employees on Form W-2
Question and Answer Session - Hear expert answers to real-world questions!
About the Speaker
Vicki M. Lambert, CPP, is President and Academic Director of The Payroll Advisor, a firm specializing in payroll education and training. The company's website www.thepayrolladvisor.com offers a payroll news service which keeps payroll professionals up-to-date on the latest rules and regulations.
- With over 35 years of hands-on experience in all facets of payroll functions as well as over 20 years as a trainer and author, Ms. Lambert has become the most sought-after and respected voice in the practice and management of payroll issues. She has conducted open market training seminars on payroll issues across the United States that have been attended by executives and professionals from some of the most prestigious firms in business today.
- A pioneer in electronic and online education, Ms. Lambert produces and presents payroll related audio seminars, webinars and webcasts for clients, APA chapters and business groups throughout the country. Ms. Lambert is an adjunct faculty member at Brandman University in Southern California and is the creator of and instructor for their Practical Payroll Online program, which is approved for recertification hours by the APA. She is also the Program Developer, Subject Matter Expert (SME), and Facilitator for the Certificate in Payroll Practice and Management Program offered by Cengage Learning / Ed2Go through hundreds of colleges and universities across the country
During this high-impact, 60-minute online training session, you and your payroll department will receive expert guidance on handling the complexities of taxation for multi-state employees. Ensure you file accurately, pay what is owed and avoid costly mistakes and omissions.