New W-4, W-8 & W-9 Requirements: When to Use Which Form
The Tax Credits and Jobs Act changed the method of computing taxable income. As a result, the IRS scrambled to update Form W-4, with even more changes expected for 2020. The Forms W-9 and W-8 have experienced changes as well. Expert Miles Hutchinson will review the current law and regulations regarding these forms, and will provide practical guidance on key areas that have become the subject of increasing IRS scrutiny.
- Updates made to forms W-4, W-8 and W-9
- How to determine which form should be obtained
- Gathering electronic forms - the rules are not the same
- Crucial reporting rules for each of the form
- Red flags to watch for - and how to fix errors
- What's on the horizon for 2020
Do You Need W-4, W-8 or W-9? Making the Determination
- Review of updated forms W-4, W-8 and W-9 for 2019
- Determining which form you need to get - and why
- Which form W-8 applies to each of your nonresident payees
- Nonresident alien employee - do you use form W-8 or form W-4?
- Reporting on Form W-2 v. 1042-S: Clarifying what the IRS says
Best Practices to Keep You Compliant and Avoid Penalties
- What a "prudent person" must do when gathering information from payees
- Techniques for success in working with your new payees
- Keys to effectively validate and review your forms for errors
- How to efficiently execute an electronic form gathering program - the rules are not the same for all three of these forms
- W-2, W-8 and W-9 red flags: Avoid under withholding or failure to report
- Minimize resource consumption when complying with reporting requirements
Live Question & Answer Session - Have your questions answered by the expert!
About the Speaker
Miles Hutchinson is a CGMA and experienced businessman. He has been an auditor with PriceWaterhouseCoopers and the Chief Financial Officer of a $1 billion real estate development company.
- Miles is a highly sought after professional speaker and consultant who has presented over 3,000 seminars and training sessions on a myriad of business and financial topics, such as tax, financial analysis and modeling, accounting matters, strategic planning, and compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
- His clients include, Abbott Labs, BASF, Citicorp, Corning, the FBI, Mitsubishi, Pfizer, Siemens, and the US Marine Corps.
Join us to get clear guidelines on when you should be using form W-4, W-8 or W-9 and the accompanying reporting forms. You’ll also get a clear look at the latest changes and requirements set by the IRS.
Premier Learning Solutions is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. This program is valid for 1 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org