POSTPONE: Paying for Travel Time: Latest on Compliance with Federal Regs
Determining when you must pay an employee for travel time and expenses can frustrate even the most seasoned payroll professional.
If you pay when not required to - your bottom line suffers.
If you don’t pay when required to - you open yourself up to DOL investigations and potential lawsuits.
So, how can you develop and enforce legally compliant policies and procedures that protect your company (and your job!)? Join us for this can't-miss, 90-minute workshop to:
- Establish guidelines to comply with regulations on travel pay
- Establish guidelines to distinguish between personal and business travel expenses
- Ensure you’re compliant with IRS updates on travel expense documentation
- Determine whether your records could hold up against federal scrutiny or a tax audit
Everything you need to know about paying for employee travel
- The appropriate amount to pay for travel time and how to calculate it
- Reimbursing commuting expenses
- When travel between assignments is compensable
- Specific rules for overnight travel and extended assignments
- How to accurately calculate time worked when employees travel
Federal regulations: Guidance for payroll compliance
- Get the updated IRS travel expense documentation requirements
- Stay compliant with Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and Portal to Portal Pay Act rules on travel pay
- See how employees’ status (exempt or nonexempt) affects travel compensation under the FLSA
- Determine your liability when an employee gets hurt/causes damage during work travel
Developing a clear policy for employee travel
- Foolproof requirements for documenting travel expenses
- Which is better: Reimbursing employees after travel or advancing them a per diem?
- The “travel advance trap” and how to avoid falling prey to it
- Communicating employee work-travel policies – and getting their confirmation
About the Speaker
Miles Hutchinson is a CGMA, was an auditor with PwC, and the CFO of a $ 1 billion real estate development company. Miles is an experienced consultant in business, tax and financial topics, including payroll law, sales tax law, financial analysis and modeling, accounting, strategic planning and compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
In this 90-minute workshop, you'll learn how to accurately pay employees for travel time, and handle travel expense reimbursements - all while remaining compliant with current laws and requirements.