Sales & Use Tax Nexus Update: What the New Ruling Means for You
States have continued to push nexus limits farther than ever before, and it looks like they're now getting their way. The U.S. Supreme Court just ruled in Wayfair, Inc. v. S.D, that, in the granddaddy of all nexus cases, the National Bellas Hess Case of 1967, the USSC got it wrong. This opens the door for states to now force out-of-state sellers with no physical presence in their state to register, collect and remit sales tax simply because they have customers in their states.
Join us to gain valuable insight into the complex issues of interstate sales and the obligations of out-of-state (foreign) sellers to collect the destination state's taxes in light of this new ruling, and the anticipated outcomes. In this critical 90-minute event, you'll discover:
- How nexus works under Wayfair and the risks of not registering
- Ways states now plan to collect sales tax from out-of-state retailers
- Answers to key questions retailers are now asking about internet sales tax
- Where mega retailers stand in the fight against universal sales & use tax nexus
- What you need to do now to prepare for the changes and stay compliant
New U.S. Supreme Court Rulings on Nexus: Impact on Your Sales & Use Tax
- Nexus Litigation update in U.S. Supreme Court and the State Courts
- States' plan to get "foreign" businesses to register & collect their taxes
- Will you owe taxes in more than one state for the same sale?
- Learn if states will extend exceptions - and who would qualify
Mega Retailers & Universal Sales Tax & Use Tax Nexus Resistance
- Where the fight back from mega retailers on taxes stands now
- How to stay connected & be aware of the states' moves
- Why avoiding universal & nexus tax is your fight too
Tips on What Your Company Can Do Now to Stay Proactive & Compliant
- How to perform a SWOT analysis on sales & use tax: Risk exposure
- Getting proactive: Key steps to take now to prepare for the possible tax hikes
- Where to begin if your company is delinquent on state sales & use tax
- Learn how to work out "Offers in compromise" or "Voluntary Disclosures"
About the Speaker
Miles Hutchinson is a CGMA and experienced businessman.
- He has been an auditor with PriceWaterhouseCoopers and the Chief Financial Officer of a $1 billion real estate development company.
- Miles is a professional speaker and consultant, who has presented over 2,500 seminars and training sessions on a myriad of business and financial topics, like financial analysis and modeling, accounting, strategic planning, and compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
- Miles is recognized as an expert in payroll and sales & use tax, as well as financial modeling & analysis, leadership, business strategy and communications.
- He is the author of several useful accounting and tax tools available at www.soxpolicies.com and www.salestaxadvisor.com. Please visit his websites to see how you can further benefit from his expertise.
Get up-to-date information about the retailing giants and their fights with the various states. Take a ring-side seat with an expert who will share the anticipated outcomes.