A New Approach to Hiring: Moving from Pedigree to Potential
The traditional approach to sourcing applicants by focusing on the best academic credentials – top colleges, name brand universities and GPAs – is leaving a huge gap between qualified candidates and degree holders. A degree does not guarantee job performance, and employers are missing out on a wider pool of skilled candidates.
In today's work environment, smart employers realize that they need to seek out as well as hire people with practical experience, instinct, and initiative.
In this 60-minute program, HR expert Michelle Coussens will show you how to take a closer look at your current hiring practices and provide effective ways to find a wider pool of qualified applicants. Join us to learn:
- The skills typical business professionals need for today and “tomorrow”
- How to cultivate and attract “STARS” (“Skilled Through Alternative Routes”)
- Steps to move past credentials flash to performance splash
- Ways to find the best candidates without deferring to traditional default criteria
- What leading companies are doing, and what you can learn from them
Re-thinking Hiring to Find Better Candidates
- How traditional hiring requirements keep you from finding the best people
- New strategies, resources, and mindsets to anticipate and fill staffing needs
- What to know and do to stay a step ahead of evolving candidate trends
- How you can better discern and measure actual candidate skills and potential
Casting a Wider Net: Keys to Catching More Applicants
- Identifying which jobs actually require a college degree – and which don’t
- Alternatives to traditional higher education that provide qualified workers
- Hiring in a pandemic: finding people ready to hit the ground running
- Using automation to capture the best candidates with experience and know-how
- Identifying the right requirements and candidates to move your organization forward
We’ll answer the top questions that employers are asking, including:
- How did a four-year degree become compulsory for nearly every job, and how do we decide which jobs we actually need them for?
- What should I do differently when first creating job postings and associated requirements?
- What self-starter traits should I look for as alternatives to degrees, majors, and course work?
About the Speaker
Michelle Coussens, Business Strategist, Plan B Consulting
Michelle Coussens is a business strategist who is a frequently sought out speaker for numerous types of organizations on a wide range of topics related to the workplace, including but not limited to, talent management, business safety and continuity, and financial acuity. In 2020, she created and delivered more than 40 well-regarded presentations for numerous organizations around the world. In 2021, she has already delivered more than 50 signature speeches and training sessions, both online and in person. She holds practical expertise on a variety of HR topics, including but not limited to job design, recruiting, onboarding, training and development, performance management, and succession planning.
She is a resourceful, resilient, and relentless business professional with demonstrated success in building new programs, driving short-term efficiencies, and improving long-term effectiveness all through innovation, rigor, and courageous leadership. She has direct experience with a variety of industries, as well as in consulting, education, and not-for-profit organizations. With consistently high participant ratings, her webinars, seminars, and speaking engagements bring practical value to businesses of every size and type.
In our informative, 60-minute program, you will learn a new approach to hiring that will help you find a larger number of qualified candidates that are ready to hit the ground running.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!
Premier Learning Solutions is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. This program is valid for 1 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org