ADA & FMLA Updates: Navigating Overlapping Regulations
There are two major federal laws dealing with work leave - FMLA and the ADA – and they're both complex!
To stay compliant, you need to know these laws front to back and how they overlap. Plus, you need to understand the related impact of state workers’ compensation laws, family leave acts, paid sick leave acts, and pregnancy leave acts.
In this 75-minute program, we’ll dive into the primary work leave elements of the FMLA and ADA and what to do when regulations collide. We’ll also provide guidance on how other leave acts impact HR – including benefits management decisions.
You’ll leave this training prepared to:
- Uncover which work leave laws apply to any given set of circumstances
- Determine which work leave laws take precedence when laws conflict
- Maintain compliant documentation for work leave at your organization
- Answer managers’ and employees’ questions on qualifying leave
Understand the Complex Laws Regarding Work Leave
- What medical certifications are allowable under the ADA
- When leave beyond the FMLA is mandated – and when it’s not
- The impact of FMLA and ADA on return-to-work policies
- How the EEOC Interactive Process applies to ADA extended leave requests
Stay Compliant When Granting Leave to Employees
- When work leave needs to be paid – and when it doesn’t
- Determine if a pregnant employee’s job needs to be held while on leave
- How to grant the appropriate amount of work leave under the ADA
Top Questions Pertaining to Employee Leave
- Do workers have a right to work-leave under the ADA?
- Does the ADA mandate an employee receive leave beyond the FMLA’s period?
- Can an employer require a worker to be completely healed before returning to work?
Question & Answer Session – have your specific question answered!
About the Speaker
Max Muller has been an expert in business law for over 49 years. In 1990 he began a consulting practice focusing on workplace legalities, e.g., equal employment opportunity, sexual harassment, FMLA, ADA, COBRA, FLSA, ADEA, etc., as well as safety and health regulatory compliance.
Max has shared his knowledge and expertise with over 100,000 people worldwide through programs like this, and through his books, including the popular SHRM/HarperCollins Leadership book: The Manager’s Guide to HR: Hiring, Firing, Performance Evaluations, Documentation, Benefits, and Everything Else You Need to Know. Second Edition.
This session will equip employers to navigate the legal landmines in the ADA and FMLA to ensure total compliance – even when regulations overlap.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!
Premier Learning Solutions is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. This program is valid for 1 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org