Automations that Boost the Quality of Your Excel-Based Financial Statements
Do you build cumbersome Excel worksheets for each month of the year when it comes to financial statements?
Are you worried about the integrity and accuracy of your Excel-based statements?
Do your workbooks often result in worksheet creep – deeming them a practically unusable database or report?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, this workshop is for you.
Join Excel expert and CPA, David Ringstrom, for this workshop to create dynamic accounting reports for any month of the year on a single worksheet. As an alternative to too many worksheets, he will explain how to use Excel functions, such as OFFSET and SUMIFS, to quickly create accounting reports that can be toggled to any reporting period with only two mouse clicks. In addition, he outlines how to export data from your accounting package, improve the integrity of your spreadsheets, and how to consolidate reports from two or more departments or entities. Much of the discussion shows how to use Power Query in Excel to clean-up and combine reports from accounting software and other sources.
In this workshop training, you’ll learn how to:
- Create dynamic sums with the OFFSET function for increased efficiency
- Use Power Query to create self-updating spreadsheets to minimize your manual tasks
- Use Power Query to quickly clean up issues in reports exported from accounting software
- Create in-cell dropdown lists with Data Validation for increased accuracy
Overcome common issues in exported reports:
- How to build a 12-month Profit & Loss report that looks just like QuickBooks
- Learn the most efficient way to consolidate financial statement exports from two or more entities into a single list
Cut down on manual updates and tasks:
- Create self-updating financial spreadsheets with automated queries
- Automate the extraction of data for a given month or year to date
- Create a workbook with just two worksheets that will present data for any month of the year
- Functions you should be using to automate more in your reports
Increase the accuracy of your Excel-based reports:
- Create an in-cell list for better data validation
- Discover how to incorporate Check Figures and Alarms into your work
- Use a refinement feature to be able to toggle your display of company-wide and departmental numbers
About the Speaker
David H. Ringstrom, CPA is a nationally recognized Microsoft Excel expert as well as the president and founder of Accounting Advisors, Inc. based in Atlanta, Georgia. He founded Accounting Advisors in 1991 as a consulting-services business, later he began teaching continuing education classes as well. His mission since is to offer quality training and consulting services on Microsoft Excel.
David demonstrates every technique at least twice, so you leave his trainings ready to execute. First, he’s goes over the technique on a Point slide with numbered steps, and second, in the subscription-based Microsoft 365 version of Excel. He draws your attention to any differences in the older versions of Excel (2019, 2016, 2013, and earlier) during the presentation as well as in his detailed handouts. David also provides an Excel workbook that includes most of the examples he uses during the webcast.
When you leave this workshop training, you’ll be able to:
- Create accounting reports for any month of the year on a single worksheet
- Apply Conditional Formatting to draw attention to reports that don’t balance to the source data
- State how to export data from an accounting package to create a “set-and-forget” link to accounting data in Excel
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org