Calculating Overtime: How to Get it Right Every Time
Calculating overtime pay for nonexempt employees is far from straightforward. And what happens if you get it wrong? Possible penalties for overtime violations include severe fines, imprisonment, or both!
Join our 60-minute, instructor-led event to learn how to accurately calculate overtime for your workforce, and guidelines for compliance.
- The FLSA’s definition of overtime & when it applies
- Role of the Portal-to-Portal Act in overtime computation
- How to accurately calculate regular rate of pay & key factors
- Best practices for tracking hours & applying rounding rules
- Limited exceptions for payment inclusion in the regular rate
Navigating Complex Overtime Rules
- Understanding FLSA's definition of overtime
- Deciphering the complexities of the Portal-to-Portal Act
- Accurately calculating the regular rate of pay
- Tracking working hours and the use of rounding practices
- Eight exceptions for including payments in the regular rate
Techniques for Inclusive Overtime Calculations
- When and how to incorporate bonuses in overtime calculations
- Unraveling the concept of the overtime premium and its calculation
- Employing the weighted average method in overtime computations
- The appropriate use of the fluctuating workweek method
Solutions for Complex Overtime Scenarios
- Calculating overtime with bonuses spanning extended periods
- Use of the 'alternate' method for overtime calculation
- Avoiding common pitfalls in overtime pay processing.
- Staying updated on state-specific overtime regulations
Question & Answer Session – Have your specific questions answered
About the Speaker
Vicki M. Lambert, CPP, is President and Academic Director of The Payroll Advisor™, a firm specializing in payroll education and training. With 40 years of hands-on experience in all facets of payroll functions as well as over three decades as a trainer and author, Ms. Lambert has become the most sought-after and respected voice in the practice and management of payroll issues.
She has conducted open market training seminars on payroll issues across the United States that have been attended by executives and professionals from some of the most prestigious firms in business today.
Unlock the complexities of overtime pay calculations in just 60 minutes with our comprehensive program. You’ll discover expert insights and practical strategies to ensure compliance and efficiency in your payroll processes.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!
Premier Learning Solutions is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. This program is valid for 1 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org