The Latest CMS CoPs Updates and Changes for Medical Records
Are you up to date on the recent CMS Conditions of participation (CoPs) changes?
Medical Records is an extremely important section - with new requirements that were just released.
Failure to comply will cost you. The first hospital that failed to release medical records in a timely manner, in accordance with the new rules, was fined $85,000
Don’t let that happen to you - this program will cover the latest CMS regulations and new guidelines for medical records. This includes top areas of focus, such as: verbal orders, medical history, standing orders, discharge, medication orders, and more.
Join us for this informative 120-minute workshop to maximize compliance and minimize risk, plus:
- Crucial CMS requirements that you may be missing
- The most up-to-date information on electronic records and verbal orders
- New procedures for discharge recording and information collection
- What you need to submit within 7 days to be compliant
- CMS Final Discharge Planning Standards and final changes to the Hospital H&P CoPs
- Introduction to the CMS hospital CoPs
- Latest CMS Survey memos
- Interpretive guidelines for hospitals
- Changes to verbal orders, standing orders and H&P update
- How to keep posted of new changes
- Confidentiality and privacy memos
- MOON form
- IM and detailed notice forms
- Transfer form requirements and recent changes
- Final changes to federal drug and alcohol drug 42 CFR Part 2
- OCR information on HIPAA on patient access vs authorization
- Grievances and incident reports
- Medical record service requirements, educational needs and personnel
- Legibility and authentication requirements
- Informed consent
- List of procedures for consent requirements
- New changes for discharge summaries and processing
- Completed medical records
- Other sections of CoPs that are important for documentation in the medical record
- Medication documentation
- Pre/ Post Anesthesia assessment and standards
- Visitation with changes to advance directives, consent and plan of care
- Notification of OPO in deaths
- Organ donation documentation
Question and Answer Session - Hear expert answers to real-world questions!
About the Speaker
Sue Dill Calloway, RN, MSN, JD, is the president of Patient Safety and Healthcare Consulting and Education company with a focus on medical-legal education especially Joint Commission and the CMS hospital CoPs regulatory compliance. She was a director for risk management and patient safety for five years for the Doctors Company.
- Sue was the former VP of legal services at a mid-sized hospital, in addition to being the privacy officer and the compliance officer.
- She has 10 years of medical malpractice defense attorney experience, along with 3 nursing degrees and a law degree.
- She is a well-known lecturer and the first one in the country to be a certified professional in CMS.
Join us for this need-to-know training, where we'll cover changes to the medical records section of the CoPs and you'll discover how to ensure your facility remains compliant.