Compliant Goodbyes: Guidelines for Termination Documentation
Navigating the complexities of documentation during an employee's termination is a critical aspect of ensuring compliance with state regulations. Every termination involves not just company-specific paperwork but also adheres to varying state requirements.
Our 60-minute, instructor-led event delivers comprehensive guidance on what documents are required when terminating an employee, and best practices to ensure you maintain compliance and reduce legal risks.
In this program, you will:
- Find out the specific termination documentation requirements for each state
- Learn the deadlines for issuing final paychecks to terminated employees
- Discover the essential information to provide to terminated employees
- Explore best practices for managing system access for departing employees
State-Specific Unemployment Notices
- Which states require unemployment notices & how to access them
- Timeline & requirements for issuing final pay in different states
- When separation agreements can be used & legal implications
- How long terminated employees should have access to paystubs & W-2s
Communicating with Terminated Employees
- Information to provide about references & post-employment inquiries
- Comprehensive checklist to streamline the termination process
- Who should be involved in the exit interview process & why
- When & how to provide legally required WARN notices
Effective Termination Documentation
- Keys to drafting state-compliant unemployment notices
- Strategies for timely & accurate final pay disbursement
- Learn how to compile & present all necessary post-termination information.
- Methods to manage & limit system access post-termination.
Question & Answer Session – Have your specific questions answered
About the Speaker
Tricia Richardson, CPP, SPHR, SHRM-SCP provides clients with direct payroll assistance, information, education, consultation, and even empathy, in her role as a Consultant.
Tricia Richardson, CPP, SPHR, SHRM-SCP has more than 25 years of experience in all aspects of workforce management (payroll processing, taxation, employee handbooks, human resources, benefits, etc.). Tricia is a Payroll and Human Resource “nerd” who enjoys reading Internal Revenue Code.
- She is a Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) through PayrollOrg (formerly the American Payroll Association) a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) through the HR Certification Institute, as well as a Society for Human Resource Management Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP).
- Tricia is a Member of the National Speakers Bureau for PayrollOrg and a Contributing Writer to Paytech Magazine, a regular periodical provided to over 20,000 Members.
In our 60-minute program, you will learn how to effectively navigate termination paperwork, ensuring legal compliance and reducing risk, while streamlining your process for a smoother employee departure procedure.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!
Premier Learning Solutions is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. This program is valid for 1 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org