Employees with Side Hustles: The Impact on Employers
As a result of the pandemic, there's been a significant increase in the percentage of employees that are quietly balancing a side hustle or even a second, full-time job. This creates a new host of concerns for HR, from worker performance to health care coverage.
This 60-minute, guidance-rich program will cover the “side hustle” issue, from all angles. We will discuss the impacts on workers’ compensation, disability accommodations, key performance indicators (KPIs), double healthcare coverage, and much more.
Join us as we address:
- When or if employers can prevent employees from having a second job
- The impact a second job can have on workers’ compensation
- Employees taking FMLA leave while working at their second job(s)
- How flexible a “moonlighting” policy should be – and why
- Tax implications of an employee receiving both a W-2 and 1099
Handling Employee Side Hustles
- Pros and cons of allowing employees to have a side hustle
- Interfaces between an employee’s side hustle and the FMLA
- Key health insurance coverage issues for multi-jobbers
- Setting key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure productivity
- The impacts of an employee’s injury at a second job
- How workers’ compensation coverage can be affected
- Considering healthcare double coverage insurance issues
Creating Effective “Moonlighting” Policies
- Deciding on the scope of a moonlighting policy
- Preventing employees from having a second job with competitor(s)
- Determining how strict a second job policy should be
Question and Answer Session - Your specific questions & unique challenges will be addressed!
About the Speaker
Max Muller, an attorney specializing in HR matters for more than 50 years, is the nationally known author of the SHRM/HarperCollins Leadership book, “The Manager's Guide to HR: Hiring, Firing, Performance Evaluations, Documentation, Benefits, and Everything Else You Need to Know” Second Edition. His webinars are real-world, practical, and engaging.
In this instructor-led, 60-minute program we will look at the impact of employees having a side or second job, key compliance and performance considerations, plus steps employers can take.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!
Premier Learning Solutions is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. This program is valid for 1 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org