Ethics and Law Office Management for Paralegals
Paralegals play an integral role in legal teams and participate in virtually all aspects of services for your clients. While it is their responsibility to perform multiple tasks, one of their main duties is to identify and prevent ethics violations while managing the office. Join us for this Ethics CLE webinar to learn how you can resolve critical ethics issues and traps for the unwary and to either prevent issues from occurring, or manage those issues when they occur. After this 90-minute webinar, you will be able to:
- Identify and address ethics and risk management issues
- Confidently screen potential clients and avoid conflicts of interest
- Ensure confidentiality and client file and proper records management
- Avoid social media ethics pitfalls
Non-Lawyers and Ethics: The Importance of Paralegal Compliance with the Bar Rules
- Steps to ensure staff maintain client confidentiality as required
- What paralegals are and aren't permitted to do or discuss
- What non-lawyers MUST explain to all clients
Client Intake: From Screening Through Conflicts of Interest
- Client intake preliminary steps: references, conflicts, fees and more
- How to screen potential clients during - questions you should be asking
- When and how you should follow up on client intake communication
Best Client Confidentiality Management Practices
- Latest client confidentiality laws and guidelines - what you need to know
- Precedent from online confidentiality cases - e-filing, social media and blogs
- Fee and fee agreements: withdrawals, arbitration and critical language
- Client file and record management - disengagement letters, settlement offers, etc.
Question and Answer Session - Hear expert answers to real-world questions!
About the Speaker
Joseph A. Corsmeier, Esq. is the Founder and president/owner of The Law Office of Joseph A. Corsmeier, P.A. and primarily practices in the areas of: attorney disciplinary defense before The Florida Bar, attorney admission matters before the Florida Board of Bar Examiners, professional license and disciplinary matters before the Boards of the State of Florida.
- He provides expert analysis and opinions on ethics issues, legal malpractice, conflicts of interest, fees, attorney disqualification, and other matters and has testified as an expert in both Federal and Florida courts
- Joseph is a frequent speaker and has written numerous publications on topics including ethics and professionalism, law office management, fees, trust accounting, social media, technology, conflicts of interest, and other topics
- He also holds the highest lawyer rating with Martindale-Hubbell and AVVO Law Directories; designated as a Super Lawyer
Paralegals are on the front lines and expected to manage the law office and prevent ethics violations. Join us for this 90-minute webinar to discover how you can identify crucial ethics issues and traps, and either prevent issues from occurring or manage issues when they occur.