Firing Without Fear: Prevent Wrongful Termination Lawsuits
Join us for a live, 90-minute webinar to discover:
- How to remain compliant with federal laws during termination
- Proper paperwork to justify firing
- Strategies for creating releases & severance agreements
- Guidelines for conducting the oral, written and final warning
Keys to Terminating Employees: What's Required by Law
- Defining grounds for termination: Steps to avoid employee retaliation
- Terminating employees with protected status: Laws you must follow
- Whistleblower protection laws: How to avoid unlawful firing
Documentation Guidelines & Policies that Protect Employers
- Clear discipline policies to enforce: Avoid bias or retaliation claims
- Drafting & reviewing job descriptions: Legal ins & outs
- How employee handbooks can help or hurt your case
- Documentation musts: Notice of performance deficiencies & review
Firing the Employee: Best Practices to Avoid Legal Repercussions
- Conducting the exit interview: What you should & shouldn't say
- Tips for delivering warnings: Oral, written and final
- Drafting effective release & severance agreements: What's fair & legal
- How to handle when termination isn't performance based
Live Question & Answer Session - Have your questions answered by the expert!
About the Speaker
Marcia Nelson Jackson is a partner in the Labor and Employment Group of Wick Phillips. She has practiced labor and employment law for over 20 years and is a frequent speaker on issues related to the employer-employee relationship.
- Ms. Jackson's practice includes all aspects of employment and labor law, strategic client counseling, preventative training, and internal investigations.
- In addition to representing employers in single and multi-plaintiff employment lawsuits, she regularly represents clients in wage and hour collective actions filed under the Fair Labor Standards Act, as well as disputes involving non-competition covenants and employee benefits litigation.
- Ms. Jackson has appeared in state and federal courts throughout Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio, and California, as well as administrative agencies in various states. Her clients range in size from local to global companies. Ms. Jackson is admitted to practice in California and Texas as well as all federal courts in both states.
Terminating employees puts the employer at risk for lawsuits and claims. This 90-minute program will help you create termination best practices and policies to protect your organization from the legal risks of dismissing workers.
Premier Learning Solutions is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. This program is valid for 1 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org