Handling Child Support Garnishments: Policies to Ensure Compliance
The Federal government has enacted laws that require states to adopt certain rules when setting their own standards for child support requirements. But, states are also free to set up their own rules and regulations.
In addition to these laws, the federal rules now require that a standard Income Withholding Order (IWO) be used for all child support withholding garnishments. Payroll departments must fully understand both the federal and state laws, and which apply to the child support withholding order.
Join this 60-minute webinar for a complete walk-through of the latest child support garnishment requirements. We will address:
- The updated Income Withholding Order (IWO) form and requirements
- Defining child support garnishments and what they mean to payroll
- Which garnishment orders apply: Federal or state?
- Effective strategies for prioritizing the order of distribution
- What conditions impact withholdings at the time the order is received?
Rules & Regulations Affecting Garnishments Payroll Needs to Know
- Understanding the Income Withholding Order (IWO) form
- Federal requirements a payroll department must know for child support
- Meeting requirements for duplicate orders for the same family
- Reporting Lump Sum Payments: State legislation you should know
- Handling the withholding limits for medical support orders
Need-to-Know Child Support Garnishment Issues
- When to apply federal or state laws to calculate support
- Rules that apply when withholding several support orders at one time
- Specific requirements for child support: Deduction limits, deadlines and penalties
Beyond the Basics: Additional Key Withholding Requirements
- In-depth discussion of the latest OCSE withholding notice
- Eliminate the confusion of support orders for contractors
- Special child support payments at time of separation or termination
Question and Answer Session - Hear expert answers to real-world questions!
About the Speaker
Vicki M. Lambert, CPP, is President and Academic Director of The Payroll Advisor™, a firm specializing in payroll education and training. The company’s website www.thepayrolladvisor.com offers a payroll news service which keeps payroll professionals up-to-date on the latest rules and regulations.
- With over 35 years of hands-on experience in all facets of payroll functions as well as over 20 years as a trainer and author, Ms. Lambert has become the most sought-after and respected voice in the practice and management of payroll issues. She has conducted open market training seminars on payroll issues across the United States that have been attended by executives and professionals from some of the most prestigious firms in business today.
- A pioneer in electronic and online education, Ms. Lambert produces and presents payroll related audio seminars, webinars and webcasts for clients, APA chapters and business groups throughout the country. Ms. Lambert is an adjunct faculty member at Brandman University in Southern California and is the creator of and instructor for their Practical Payroll Online program, which is approved for recertification hours by the APA. She is also the Program Developer, Subject Matter Expert (SME), and Facilitator for the Certificate in Payroll Practice and Management Program offered by Cengage Learning / Ed2Go through hundreds of colleges and universities across the country.
Employer requirements for administering child support garnishments go far beyond deducting and remitting support. Join renowned expert Vicki Lambert for this comprehensive seminar that covers the basics of support withholding, and also explores more complex and troublesome situations that can arise during the garnishment process.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!
Premier Learning Solutions is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. This program is valid for 1 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org