Handling Deceased Employee Pay: State & Federal Compliance
When an employee passes, it’s a tough time for everyone in the workplace. At this tragic time, the employer may make costly mistakes when it comes to issuing the final paycheck for the deceased employee. In addition to final wages, employers need to have a firm understanding of the tax implications, legal documentation and state laws that needs to be considered
Our 60-minute webinar will give you and your payroll team tools to ensure that the final payment for a deceased employee are made in full compliance with state and federal laws. Join us to discuss:
- Tax implications and legal documentation
- Best practices to avoid paying penalties
- How to avoid paying earnings again
- Review of state specific laws payroll needs to consider
In’s & Out’s of Issuing Final Wages: Compliance Guidelines
- Determining who to pay final payments to
- Review of tax withholding and reporting requirements
- Which state and federal laws should be considered
Payroll Best Practices You’ll Want to Implement
- Tips on how to put a policy in place for deceased employee payments
- How to better communicate with families during the payment process
- How to handle special payments such as stock, deferred comp etc.
Special Considerations & Keys to Avoid Penalties
- How to avoid cost and litigation for improperly processing a payment
- Tax implications, legal documentation, and state laws to be consider
- Options to avoid having to pay duplicate earnings
Live Question & Answer Session - Have your questions answered by the expert!
About the Speaker
Dayna is currently the Director of Payroll Operations at Ann & Robert Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago. Dayna has been heavily involved in the payroll field over 17 years.
- Starting as a payroll clerk at a small Tucson company, Dayna moved on to be a Payroll Team Leader at Honeywell Inc. During Dayna’s time at Honeywell she obtained her FPC (Fundamental Payroll Certification) through the American Payroll Association. She also received several merit awards for Customer Service and Acquisitions and Divestitures.
- Dayna is no stranger to teaching she has taught at the Metro Phoenix American Payroll Association meetings and at the Arizona State Payroll Conference. Topics including Payroll Basics, Global/Cultural Awareness, Immigration Basics for the Payroll Professional, Multi-State and Local Taxation and Quality Control for Payroll, International and Canadian payroll.
- Dayna has her CPP (Certified Payroll Professional) through the APA. She also serves on the National American Payroll Association on the National Strategic Leadership Task Force, Government Affairs Task Force (PA Local tax subcommittee).
- Dayna has received a Citation of Merit for her service along with being a Gold Pin member of the APA. Besides her payroll accomplishments Dayna is certified in HR hiring and firing practices and is a Six-Sigma Greenbelt.
You never want to think about preparing for the loss of an employee, but it’s an unfortunate reality. Join us to get the information you need to properly handle issuing the final wages when employees are deceased, while also protecting your organization.