HR Documentation: Do’s & Don’ts of Documenting Employee Performance
Employee documentation begins well before an individual's first day, and it continues after he or she leaves your company.
The problem most HR professionals face is either not knowing what to document or not having a complete paper trail when you need it the most.
Not properly documenting (or not documenting at all) can hurt employers in several ways.
Documentation makes or breaks a manager’s ability to discipline, terminate, fairly promote, reward and recognize employees. Additionally, solid documentation becomes an employer’s best friend when an employee brings discrimination or other employment-related claims against the organization.
Join us on April 8th for an in-depth training on proper HR documentation, how to protect your company, plus:
- The value of well-documented performance appraisals
- What documentation you need for employee termination without litigation
- Common errors and pitfalls of employee documentation that can be used against you in court
- How to make an airtight paper trail that keeps your company safe
This 90-minute workshop will dive into:
- The what, when, how and why of documentation
- Analyzing discipline problems through a proper paper trail
- Different types of documentation you need to have on hand
- Documentation examples: The good, bad and the ugly
- Best practices & guidelines when documenting employee performance
- Ways to avoid common documentation errors
- Subjective vs. objective terminology when documenting
- Tactics for providing effective feedback (and handling the backlash if the employee disagrees)
- Document retention and disposal
- Documentation’s role in investigations, the court room & lawsuits
About the Speaker
Diane L. Dee, President and Founder of Advantage HR Consulting, LLC is a senior Human Resources professional with over 25 years of experience in the HR field. Diane’s background includes HR consulting, training, and administration in corporate, government, consulting and pro bono environments.
- Diane founded Advantage HR Consulting in early 2016. Under Diane’s leadership, Advantage HR Consulting provides comprehensive, cost-effective Human Resources solutions for small to mid-sized public and private firms.
- She develops and conducts webinars on a wide variety of HR compliance and administrative topics. Additionally, Diane is the author of numerous whitepapers and e-books addressing various HR topics.
- Diane holds a Master Certificate in Human Resources from Cornell University’s School of Industrial and Labor Relations and has attained SPHR and SHRM-SCP certification. Diane is a member of the National Association of Women Business Owners and the Society for Human Resource Management.
You know what they say – if there’s no documentation, it can’t be proven. Documentation governs an employer’s ability to defend employment and disciplinary decisions. With the proven strategies from this training, you’ll walk away ready to document thoroughly, accurately, and compliantly.