IOT and Blockchain: Legal Issues and Risks
By 2020, it's expected that there will be over 200 billion connected sensor devices to include wearables, telephone devices, internet connected homes, and autonomous cars. These devices will communicate with each other and create immutable records on the blockchain. While these connected devices will provide a multitude of social and individual benefits, they also raise a host of legal issues.
For example, who owns the information generated by the data? How can this data be used? Are the sensors secured? Who is liable if there is a breach? Are consumers aware of the legal implications raised by the collection of such information? What laws or regulations are currently in existence to regulate this subject area?
This 90-minute webinar examines these legal issues, which arise in the context of the intersection between the Blockchain and the internet of things ("IoT"). Join us to discover:
- How to prepare for the challenges: successfully address stability, privacy, legal and regulatory concerns
- Considerations for counsel: what agreements come into play and what are the rights of data subjects?
- What lies ahead, plus how it impacts you, your firm and clients: where is IOT and Blockchain going next?
- Ways to balance risks and opportunities while laws as well as regulations are still catching up
The Internet of Things and the Blockchains: what are they?
- Demystifying IOT: get the background and move beyond buzzwords
- Blockchain explained: a brief history, the basics and more
- Understand how interactions occur in an internet-everything world
Key considerations when advising clients on Blockchain and IOT
- Examine legal pitfalls and the regulatory framework
- Discover how to advise on data use, contracts and software licensing
- Ways to navigate through ownership and intellectual property issues
How does IOT affect our privacy?
- How to avoid the privacy problems an interconnected world presents
- What the rise of IOT means for the future of data security and breaches
- International Perspective: The EU General Data Protection Regulation and Blockchain
IOT and Blockchain: today, tomorrow and beyond
- Liability and consumer protection: can the laws keep up?
- Challenges plus benefits from the integration of Social Media and IOT
- The future of IoT and Blockchain: existing applications and emerging issues
Q & A Session - Hear expert answers to real-world questions!
About the Speaker
- In a parallel career, he is an Entrepreneur/Technologist for architectural and software development firms. He has a Master's degree in Computer Science and has architecture and development experience in cloud computing, blockchain, IOT, cyber security, banking, financial, manufacturing, healthcare and legal applications.
- He is the author of McGraw Hills's "Blockchain: A Practical Guide to Developing Business, Law, and Technology Solutions" as well as 10 other internationally published books on software development covering the Blockchain, Java, SQL and related technologies.
- He is the co-chair of the New York County Lawyers Association Law and Technology Committee. Mr. Bambara is a frequent speaker on legal cloud computing issues and has taught courses on all aspects of the law and enterprise and mobile development in cities worldwide.
Join us for this 90-minute webinar, to explore the rapidly evolving hype and reality of blockchain technology, including recent legal developments and how to advise your clients. The following topics will be covered: data security, privacy, intellectual property and ownership, monetization of data, regulation, product liability, automated contracts, IoT advocacy, application program interfaces and ethical issues involved in data collection and sharing.