IRS & DOL Audits: Spot Red Flags Before the Agencies Do
While most of us think of the IRS when we think audits, the IRS and the DOL work together in almost every state to conduct intensive audits. Your payroll and accounting departments are common targets, and more companies are likely to face scrutinizing audits this year.
Our 60-minute, instructor-led event will teach you how to conduct your own internal audit to uncover and correct any compliance issues - before they cost you. Plus, how to best prepare for an external audit.
You’ll walk away from this in-depth session knowing:
- Step-by-step instructions for conducting your own internal payroll audit to identify red flags
- Best practices for payroll departments that can help your organization avoid audits
- How wage and hour law audits are being conducted on the federal and state level
- The do’s and don’ts of preparing for an external audit from the IRS and/or DOL
Conduct your own internal audit to ensure total compliance
- Sample checklists to get you started on your own internal audit
- How to get management to buy into the idea of an “internal audit”
- How to audit for internal fraud
- Steps you need to take if a compliance issue arises from your internal audit
What to do if you’re targeted for an audit
- How to determine what is - and what isn’t - an IRS notice
- Instructions on how to respond to an IRS or DOL notice
- Do’s and don’ts of corresponding with the IRS, DOL, or any government agency
Best practices you can maintain to ensure compliance in the long run
- Payroll mistakes that are likely to trigger an audit
- How often you should be conducting internal audits
- How to stay up-to-date with changing regulations
- New areas of audits on the horizon
About the Speaker
Vicki M. Lambert, CPP, is President and Academic Director of The Payroll Advisor™, a firm specializing in payroll education and training.
A pioneer in electronic and online education, Ms. Lambert produces and presents payroll related audio seminars, webinars and webcasts for clients, APA chapters and business groups throughout the country. Ms. Lambert is an adjunct faculty member at Brandman University in Southern California where she is the instructor for the American Payroll Association’s “PayTrain” online program offered by Brandman University.
Audits can result in significant penalties. This training will teach you how to conduct a thorough internal audit so you can spot non-compliance before a government agency spots it for you. Plus, you’ll learn exactly what to do if you are targeted for an audit – so you can make your experience less painful.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!
Premier Learning Solutions is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. This program is valid for 1 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org