Layoffs in the Modern Workplace: Guidelines for Smoother Transitions
In today’s evolving work environment, managing layoffs is transforming from abrupt departures to a more thoughtful and extended process. Employers are increasingly adopting longer goodbye periods, allowing for a planful and sensitive approach to workforce reduction.
Join our informative, 60-minute program to learn how you can effectively apply this strategic approach to staff restructuring, while also ensuring legal compliance and maintaining morale among remaining employees.
You will discover:
- Staff restructuring trends better suited for the modern workforce
- How to be more transparent and compassionate when reducing jobs
- Legal implications and risks that come with layoffs
- How to mitigate the impacts of layoffs on remaining employees
- Ways to preserve a positive relationship with departing employees for future re-engagement
Preparing for Layoffs: Strategic Considerations
- Information to consider before making the layoff decision: Understand the business need, impact, and timing.
- Legal considerations to ensure compliance with notice periods, severance pay, and other obligations to mitigate legal risks.
- How to develop a structured plan for the layoff process: Define steps from notification to exit, ensuring clarity and dignity.
Effective Communication and Support
- Elements to include in your communication plan: Addressing the needs of both directly and indirectly affected employees to maintain trust and transparency.
- What to include in severance packages: Crafting comprehensive packages that support departing employees' transition.
- How to support remaining employees: Techniques to address morale, manage workload, and provide support.
Post-Layoff Strategy and Learning
- How to conduct an after-action review: Assessing the impacts of layoffs to improve future processes.
- Additional resources and tips: Leveraging expert advice, legal guidance, and support services to navigate layoffs effectively.
Question & Answer Session – Have your specific questions answered!
About the Speaker
Michelle Coussens, Business Strategist, Plan B Consulting
Michelle Coussens is a frequently sought-after speaker and business strategist for numerous types of organizations on a wide range of topics related to the workplace, including but not limited to talent management, business strategy, and operational effectiveness. She has delivered thousands of signature speeches and training sessions, both online and in person. She holds practical expertise on a variety of HR topics, such as job design, recruiting, onboarding, training and development, performance management, and succession planning.
This 60-minute event will equip employers with actionable insights and strategies to manage layoffs in a manner that is respectful to employees, compliant with legal standards, and mindful of the ongoing health of the organization.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!
Premier Learning Solutions is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. This program is valid for 1 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org