Managers’ Top FMLA Mistakes: How to Prevent & Correct Them
Don't let managers land your company in hot water for FMLA issues. In this 60-minute webinar event, your managers will learn what qualifies an employee for FMLA, and how to recognize and help prevent FLMA abuse. Join us with your managers to discover:
- Top FMLA mistakes that managers make - and keys to avoid them
- Privacy issues: What managers can & can't say to employees
- FMLA guidelines and requirements managers should know
- Practical tips for identifying existing abuse & preventing future issues
- How to properly handle FMLA requests & report suspected abuse
- Attendance policies, FMLA and the legal do's & don'ts
Preventing FMLA Mistakes & Abuse: Effective Strategies for Managers
- Documents your managers should request for any period of leave
- What you should & shouldn't ask when employees request time off
- Understanding qualifying reasons an employee may use for FMLA
- Spotting common forms of FMLA abuse: What to watch out for
Legal Do's & Don'ts of Attendance Policies & FMLA: What Managers Can Do
- Examples of policies you can implement to help prevent FMLA abuse
- Keys to ensuring your attendance policies align with legal guidelines
- Denying an FMLA request without violating employee rights
- How to properly document and track FMLA leave use and possible misuse
Dealing with FMLA Abuse: Investigating & Actions to Take
- How managers can help HR investigate suspected FMLA abuse
- Can you confront possible abusers - without violating their FMLA rights?
- Practical actions to deal with employees who misuse FMLA leave
- Steps to take before implementing disciplinary action for suspected abuse
Live Question & Answer Session: Get real answers to your specific questions
About the Speaker
Marcia N. Jackson is a partner in the Labor and Employment Group of Wick Phillips Gould & Martin.
- Ms. Jackson's practice includes all aspects of employment and labor law, client counseling, training and internal investigations.
- She assists clients in avoiding litigation through regular training, policy updates and implementation. She also handles FLSA wage and hour collective actions and class action discrimination lawsuits filed under Title VII.
- Ms. Jackson received her B.A. with departmental honors in 1990 from the University of California at Los Angeles, where she received the UCLA President's Award. She received her J.D. in 1994 from the Vanderbilt University School of Law, where she was the Executive Authorities Editor of the Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law.
- She is a member of the Dallas Bar Association, the California State Bar Association, the Texas State Bar, the Texas State Bar College and a lifetime member of the UCLA Alumni Association.
- Ms. Jackson is a regular speaker on current issues important to employers.
Managers will gain a clear understanding of what they can and can't do when their employees ask for time off - does it qualify under FLMA? They'll also learn how to spot possible instances of FMLA abuse, and what to do if they spot red-flags.
Premier Learning Solutions is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. This program is valid for 1 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org