Medical Marijuana: Manage the Risks or Face Huge Penalties
Hospitals and healthcare providers carry enormous risk for allowing medical marijuana use by patients due to variances in Federal and State laws. Since hospitals are accredited through the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services, hospitals found in violation could lose federal funding and face huge penalties.
Given that the majority of the United States has laws that involve the cannabis plant or one component of the plant (i.e., CBD), it is important for pharmacists and other health care providers to consider the implications of cannabis use for hospital policies and operations. This 60-minute webinar will the knowns and unknowns, as well as cover the following:
- Ways to navigate through current state & federal regulations
- How the ADA and policies on medical marijuana use intersect
- Strategies to avoid risk while patients who use medical marijuana are in your care
State and Federal Laws Dealing with Medical Marijuana
- Varied laws amongst different states
- Implications and discrimination risks amongst patients
- Conflicting state laws and federal laws regarding medical marijuana use
Interplay of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Medical Marijuana use
- Knowing the history, treatment, and further interventions when prescribing
- Accommodating the underline diagnosis while observing potential risks
- Issues for employers whose employees have been prescribed medical marijuana
The implications of Medical Marijuana use on behavior and employment
- Importance of knowing policies and providing clear, concise documentation
- Issues for staff in hospitals or healthcare facilities who may use medical marijuana
- Managing risks associated with patients using medical marijuana daily
Live Question & Answer Session - Have your questions answered by the expert!
About the Speaker
John West is currently employed as the Principal of West Consulting Services, an independent risk management and patient safety consulting firm that specializes in continuing medical/legal education for physicians and nurses. He holds a law degree from Chase College of Law, a master's degree in Health Services Administration from Xavier University, and a bachelor's degree (Biology) from the University of Cincinnati. He holds the designation of distinguished fellow of the American Society for Healthcare Risk Management (ASHRM). He received the Presidential Citation Award (2011) and the Distinguished Service Award (2001) from ASHRM, which are its highest honors. He has been a certified professional in healthcare risk management (CPHRM) since 2006.
- Mr. West has been the author of the "Case Law Update" column, which appears quarterly in the Journal of Healthcare Risk Management, since 1994.
- He is a regular speaker at national and regional risk management meetings and has published numerous articles on risk management.
While there are specific implications whose resolution must wait until more clarity is achieved, this 60-minute training will assist the participant in understanding how to deal with the issues presented by medical marijuana use. This presentation will focus on best practices, policies and procedures when using, prescribing, or interacting with medical marijuana.