Navigating Multi-State Taxation for Remote Workforces
Today’s workforce expects greater flexibility in where they perform their work, and to hire and retain the best workers, employers must be flexible as well. However, there are major challenges that come with moving to a remote workforce due to the varying and complex multi-state and local taxation requirements. Failing to accurately comply with the host of regulations can be costly.
In this 60-minute, compliance-based event you will learn how to navigate taxation requirements for your employees located across multiple states.
Join us to discover how to:
- Interpret Nexus and the "Convenience of the Employer" rule
- Navigate state-by-state reciprocity agreements
- Determine the appropriate withholding state
- Identify the correct state for unemployment taxation
- Implement best practices to track employee work locations
Understanding Taxation and Nexus
- Understand "Nexus": its definition and application in taxation
- Explore how remote workforces influence taxation dynamics
- "Convenience of the Employer" rule and which states have it
- Understand reciprocal agreements and their prevalence among states
- Methods to ascertain the correct state for unemployment purposes
- Techniques to identify the appropriate state for tax withholding
Local Taxation and Compliance
- The impact of local taxation on remote employees
- Solutions for addressing temporary work in a different city or state
- Best practices for verifying an employee's work location
- Tips for communicating location-based changes to employees
Question & Answer Session – Have your specific questions answered!
About the Speaker
Tricia Richardson has more than 25 years of experience in all aspects of workforce management (payroll processing, taxation, employee handbooks, human resources, benefits, etc.).
Tricia has a Bachelor of Science in Management Studies from the University of Maryland University College. She is a Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) through PayrollOrg (formerly the American Payroll Association), a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) through the HR Certification Institute, as well as a Society for Human Resource Management Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP).
At PayrollOrg, Tricia is a Member of the National Speakers Bureau and a previous Contributing Writer to Paytech Magazine, a regular periodical provided to over 30,000 Members.
For the Susquehanna Valley Chapter of the American Payroll Association, Tricia has taught for both the Payroll and Human Resource Certification Study Groups and has served as both the Vice President and President of the Chapter.
This 60-minute program delivers in-depth guidance on navigating multi-state and local tax regulations for remote workforces, ensuring compliance and accurate taxation.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!
Premier Learning Solutions is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. This program is valid for 1 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org