Navigating Sales and Use Tax Compliance
Over 40% of state budgets are funded by sales tax, and in the era of online sales, states aren’t always receiving the sales tax they’re owed. Many states are actively looking to crack down on sales tax policies and bring in more revenue.
Join our 60-minute program to learn how to develop a solid plan for sales and use tax compliance to avoid stressful audits and expensive fines in the long term.
You’ll leave this event ready to:
- Accurately differentiate between sales tax and use tax
- Comply with 2023 sales tax updates and changes
- Identify when sales tax nexus applies and the impact on sales tax
- Distinguish between taxable and nontaxable sales of goods and services
- Minimize the tax basis of your sales activities
Achieve end-to-end sales tax compliance at your organization by learning how to:
- Leverage best practices in managing sales and use tax compliance
- Avoid costly liability for failure to properly charge, collect and remit transactional taxes
- Identify the key policies and procedures your company should have in place to prevent audits
- Understand the different requirements of individual states for exemption-specific transactions
Get answers to your most pressing questions about sales tax, including:
- What’s the difference between sales tax and use tax?
- Must we charge tax on online sales?
- Could we owe taxes in more than one state for the same sale?
- Why is our drop shipper charging us tax?
- Why did we receive a Nexus Questionnaire and what happens if we don’t respond to it?
- We just received a notice saying we must conduct a self-audit and report our findings to the state – how should we handle this?
Learn tactics to minimize your sales tax basis, including how to:
- Establish procedures to properly account for, accrue and report tax on untaxed purchases
- Minimize taxes on freight charges
- Identify the nexus triggers that could require your company to register and pay taxes in states other than your home state
- Identify the key policies and procedures your company should have in place to help with tax audits
- Take advantage of amnesty programs
About the Speaker
Pamela Shull, CPP, SPHR gives you practical, real-world, effective guidance on a variety of accounting topics from payroll to overtime exemptions under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Pamela, both a Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) and a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR), has more than 38 years of experience as a director of human resources and payroll, controller, auditor, businesswoman, consultant, instructional designer, and trainer. She is a specialist in Canadian payroll, human resources and sales tax compliance.
- She has presented hundreds of seminars, workshops, and webinars to businesses in all major business sectors.
In this compliance-based, 60-minute event your will learn the strategies to ensure your company is compliant with sales and use tax requirements.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!
Premier Learning Solutions is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. This program is valid for 1 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org