OSHA Machine Guarding Compliance Guidelines
The complexity of today’s automated machines, robotic cell integration and portable power tools has created new levels of risks for workers. Employers must know where potential hazards are lurking - and how to minimize or eliminate the risk.
In this instructor-led, 60-minute program you'll learn practical strategies for identifying machine guarding hazards and appropriate controls that comply with OSHA Machine Guarding and Lockout/Tagout standards. Join us to discover:
- Workplace hazard assessments required by OSHA in 29 CFR 1910
- Primary methods of guarding manufacturing processes and portable powered tools
- Training requirements of OSHA machine guarding and Lockout/Tagout (LOTO) standards
- OSHA’s Amputation National Emphasis Program and the targeted industries
- Guidelines for conducting machinery risk assessments to identify hazards
Best Practices to Spot Hazards & Protect Workers
- The four primary types of machine guarding and their use
- Identifying potentially hazardous conditions in your machine guarding program
- Steps for properly deenergizing equipment and returning it to service
- Selecting the appropriate types of personal protection equipment for operators
- The selection and use of effective guarding for robotic operations
- Planning and responding to machine guarding emergencies
- Effective contractor training for site related policies and procedures
Regulatory Standards and Guidelines for Employers
- The frequency and types of violations on the OSHA Top 10 list
- Recent OSHA injury statistics related to machine guarding and LOTO
- Other relevant OSHA and ANSI machine guarding standards
- OSHA’s formula for issuing citations for machine guarding violations
- Procedures for contesting and mitigating citations after an OSHA inspection
About the Speaker
Jack Fearing, CPEA, is the Managing Partner for Fearing International Group LLC and has more than 35 years of experience in occupational safety & health management, program auditing & consulting.
- He is a certified Health & Safety auditor, an OSHA-authorized 10/30 hour instructor, and a professional member of the New Jersey Chapter of the American Society of Safety Professionals (ASSP). He was the NJASSP Safety Professional of the Year (SPY) in 2019.
- Jack’s experience includes EHS Director for a global defense contractor, an audit program director for multi-national manufacturing company and audit team leader for a leading multi-national pharmaceutical company.
- He is a graduate of the University of Massachusetts (BS) and Boston University (M.Ed). He is retired US Army LTC, Senior Army Aviator and Aviation Safety Officer.
- Jack is an accomplished author and speaker and has been published in various American Society of Safety Professionals (ASSP) professional journals on numerous safety topics as well as featured articles in "CoatingsPro", "Today's Facility Manager" & "Facility Safety Management".
This compliance-based, 60-minute event will help you to better understand how to safeguard your machines, spot potential hazards and meet OSHA 29 CFR regulations. You’ll learn how to keep your workplace in compliance, reduce insurance costs, and help prevent employee accidents or injuries.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!
Premier Learning Solutions is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. This program is valid for 1 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org
For this one hour program you may claim 0.05 continuance of certification points (COC's) from the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BCSP).
Please submit a request to obtain proof of your participation and a certificate of attendance will be emailed within 2-3 days.