Paying Deceased Employees: Navigating Payroll Compliance
The death of an employee brings not only an emotional and traumatic impact, but also a host of challenges for payroll to manage. How we pay outstanding wages and benefits, how wages are taxed, and who we pay are among the most difficult to navigate.
In our 60-minute, instructor-led event you will learn how to ensure that the final payment for a deceased employee is made in full compliance with state and federal laws. It is important to have a clear plan in place now, before a tragedy occurs.
Join us to discover:
- How final wages are taxed and reported for federal & state
- Keys to calculating final wages & when they have to be paid
- The interaction required between the different departments
- State rules for who receives the final payment of wages & benefits
- Bonus: Checklist to ensure nothing in the process is missed!
Handling Deceased Employee Wages: Payment & Taxation
- Interaction within different departments when an employee passes
- Review final pay & identify wages to be paid to the deceased employee
- Federal taxation & reporting for same & different year payment
- Compare processes for employees who die at work vs. outside of work
- Checklist to prepare now, before the death of an employee occurs
State Requirements & Processes for Deceased Employee Payments
- Review of state requirements for the payment of deceased employees
- Different state requirements for who should receive deceased employee wages
- State dollar amount limit thresholds for payment of deceased employee wages
Question and Answer Session - have your questions and unique challenges addressed
About the Speaker
Tricia Richardson has more than 25 years of experience in all aspects of workforce management (payroll processing, taxation, employee handbooks, human resources, benefits, etc.). Tricia is a Payroll and Human Resource “nerd” who enjoys reading Internal Revenue Code.
Tricia has a Bachelor of Science in Management Studies from the University of Maryland University College. She is a Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) through the American Payroll Association (APA), a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) through the HR Certification Institute, as well as a Society for Human Resource Management Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP).
For the National American Payroll Association, Tricia is a Member of the National Speakers Bureau and a Contributing Writer to Paytech Magazine, a regular periodical provided to over 20,000 Members.
You never want to think about preparing for the loss of an employee, but it’s an unfortunate reality. Join us to get the information you need to properly handle issuing the final wages for a deceased employee, while also protecting your organization.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!
Premier Learning Solutions is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. This program is valid for 1 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org