Payroll Deductions: Your Guide to Compliant, Accurate Deductions
SummaryEmployee wage deductions can be a real challenge.
Between state regulations, federal policies, optional withholding, and more - it can be complex to say the least. And, there's a lot of room for error for even the most advanced pros.
The disconnect between regulations and deductions not only leaves your company open to legal issues or costly fines, but to your employees - an incorrect paycheck could have irreversible consequences in their trust and confidence in the department.
Join us for a 60-minute workshop as we dive into how to avoid the legal ramifications and workplace drama of incorrect payroll deductions.
Attend to discover:
- Payroll deductions that are - and aren't - required by federal law
- When taxes are mandatory, a courtesy, or within the employee's control
- Best practices for accurately navigating fringe benefits
- How to handle special situations including garnishments & loans
The Best Practices for Compliant Payroll Deductions
- Voluntary and involuntary tax deductions every payroll pro needs to know
- Which deductions are legal - and which aren’t
- Handling federal, state, and local taxes with precision
- Anti-wage Theft Laws: Everything your entire department needs to know
Deductions for Special Circumstances: Levies, Loans & More
- How to legally address federal and state tax levies
- Child support: Garnishment limits and regulations
- The do's & don't of handling fringe benefits
- When uniforms, lodging, or meals come into play – who's responsible?
- Payroll errors: How to deal with shortages - or overpayments - on employee paychecks
- Handling insurance deductions and avoiding common mistakes
About the Speaker
Vicki M. Lambert, CPP, is President and Academic Director of The Payroll Advisor, a firm specializing in payroll education and training.
- With over 40 years of hands-on experience in all facets of payroll, Ms. Lambert has become one of the most sought-after and respected voices in the practice and management of payroll.
- Lambert is an adjunct faculty member at Brandman University in Southern California and is the creator of their Practical Payroll Online program, which is approved for re-certification hours by the APA.
Attend this workshop and you'll walk away confident you know everything there is to know about payroll deduction compliance - no matter where the regulation stems from - and get your payroll right every time.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org