Personnel Document Retention: What to Keep & What to Shred
Join us to gain valuable insight into how to implement an organized and legally compliant document retention policy, and the legal dos and don'ts for managing your personnel files. Ensure you're in compliance and ready if you should be targeted for an OFCCP audit, EEOC investigation, DOL probe or OSHA inspection. During this 60-minute, information-packed webinar you will discover:
- Best practices for gathering, storing & disposing personnel records
- Federal & state laws & the impact on your destruction policy
- Electronic vs paper records & the different guidelines for each
- Medical record retention obligations under FMLA, ADA & HIPAA
- The latest guidance on I-9, COBRA & other critical personnel records
Storing & Destroying Employee Records: Guidelines for HR Professionals
- When to get rid of applicant files and former or terminated employee files
- Where should you retain your records? Who should have access to them?
- Document timeline - retention periods for specific documents
- Best practices to safely destroy personnel files
- Documents to keep in your personnel files & those to keep as separate files
Documentation requirements for terminated employees - what you must keep
- Federal Requirements for Personnel Records: What's Required by Law
- EEOC & other litigation - considerations for document retention
- New I-9 rules and E-verify records disposal
- Workplace safety documents required by OSHA
- COBRA record retention requirements
- FMLA, ADA & HIPAA - special considerations for medical records
- Resources available for state specific retention & destruction requirements
- How to handle documents that fall outside the scope of state & federal mandates
Personnel Records Safe Practices: Reduce Risk & Avoid Legal Liability
- How electronic storage requirements differ from paper
- What types of records can and can't be stored electronically
- Keys to safeguarding against identity theft
- What are an employee's rights to review their personnel file
- How to avoid potential pitfalls with the DOL
- Security protocols for confidential information - protect your company
- Document retention when current or impending litigation
Question and Answer Session - Hear expert answers to real-world questions!
About the Speaker
Tricia Richardson, CPP, SPHR, SHRM-SCP has more than 25 years of experience in all aspects of workforce management (payroll processing, taxation, employee handbooks, human resources, benefits, etc.). Tricia is a Payroll and Human Resource “nerd” who enjoys reading Internal Revenue Code.
- She is a Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) through the American Payroll Association (APA), a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) through the HR Certification Institute, as well as a Society for Human Resource Management Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP).
Discover the latest guidelines for personnel record retention and destruction and the federal laws impacting your records.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!
Premier Learning Solutions is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. This program is valid for 1 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org