Roe v. Wade & The Legal Impact on Employers
The reversal of Roe v. Wade will have a significant impact on employers and their workforce.
In this information-packed, 60-minute event we will cover which federal laws protect employee rights and prohibit discrimination, new obligations for employers, plus policies employers should consider adopting.
Join us to discover:
- Use of FMLA to cover out-of-state abortion procedures and travel time
- How ERISA, Affordable Care Act, ADA, and HIPAA interface with abortion assistance
- Risk of prosecution for employers who provide support to workers seeking abortions
- Impact varying state abortion rights are expected to have on retaining workers
- Protections afforded by the Civil Rights Act and the Pregnancy Discrimination Act amendments
- Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA) for abortion or pregnancy-related complications
- When the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) will cover pregnancy-related conditions
- What “reasonable accommodation” may be required under the ADA
- HHS guidance on Post-Dobbs HIPAA privacy protections involving abortion services
- Overlapping protections of the Civil Rights Act and the Pregnancy Discrimination Act
- Privacy rights protecting employees seeking abortion services
- Legal risks to employers in supporting workers seeking out-of-state abortions
- How HR policies should be modified to address abortion rights and employer assistance
- The role of company-sponsored Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs) in assisting workers
- Existing case law on workplace abortion discrimination employers need to know
- The changing landscape of state abortion rights impact on multi-state organizations
Question and Answer Session - Your specific questions & unique challenges will be addressed!
About the Speaker
Adele L. Abrams is an attorney, Associate Safety Professional (ASP) and Certified Mine Safety Professional (CMSP) who is president of the Law Office of Adele L. Abrams P.C., a multi-attorney firm with offices in Beltsville, Maryland, Denver, Colorado, and Charleston, West Virginia. She represents employers in OSHA and MSHA litigation nationwide, and in employment law matters in a large number of states. She also provides employment and safety law consultation, safety audits, industrial hygiene assistance, and training services to companies in a variety of industries.
Adele is a member of multiple state bars and federal courts, including the United States Supreme Court. She also serves on the adjunct faculties of the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., and the University of Colorado-Boulder, where she teaches on employment, labor and occupational safety law.
Adele is a member of the American Bar Association, SHRM, the American Society of Safety Professionals, and the National Safety Council, where she was awarded the Distinguished Service to Safety Award (DSSA) in 2017. Abrams has coauthored several textbooks on employment law, occupational and mine safety and health, and is a regular columnist on safety law issues for multiple magazines.
In this 60-minute program, you will learn which federal employment law protections apply to workers who seek elective abortions that may be restricted under state law. Plus, how to develop legally effective policies that address both the needs of the employer and the rights of employees.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!
Premier Learning Solutions is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. This program is valid for 1 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org