Top 10 Payroll Mistakes and How to Prevent Them
As payroll professionals, we must comply with numerous laws, and it’s cumbersome just to keep up with them all! Furthermore, far too often we’re forced to quickly act and mitigate issues before it's too late to fix or prevent them - which can lead to costly errors and penalties for non-compliance.
In this 60-minute event, payroll expert Dayna Reum will discuss the specific areas of payroll that are typically red flags and can trigger an IRS or DOL audit. She’ll also review the penalties that non-compliance can lead to and provide guidance to ensure you’re compliant in each area, including some you haven’t thought of!
Join us to discuss:
- How COVID can create additional mistakes and how to avoid them
- Top mistakes even the most experienced payroll pro’s make
- Properly taxing employees for multi-state taxation in a remote work environment
- Managing IRS substantiation for fringe benefits
- Practices to avoid termination errors
- Examples on properly calculating employee overtime
- The most common and even uncommon red flags to watch out for
Top 10 Payroll Errors & Prevention Strategies
- Worker Misclassification Errors
- Improperly Calculating overtime
- Overpayment Corrections in regard to FLSA and taxation
- Timing of Payment Concerns
- Termination Errors
- Improper state taxation
- Taxing Fringe Benefits
- No obtaining proper substantiation for nontaxable fringe benefits
- Improper Processing of received garnishments
- Unethical SUI tax practices and errors
Best Practices to Avoid Audits & Penalties
- How to avoid penalties during a payroll audit
- The right way to record for the COVID-19 payroll credits
- Ensuring correct classification of workers
- When employee overtime MUST be paid
- Federal and state laws for processing payroll overpayments
- How to determine tax fringe benefits
About the Speaker
Dayna Reum is currently the Director of Payroll Operations at a major medical center in Chicago. Dayna has been heavily involved in the payroll field over 17 years. Starting as a payroll clerk at a small Tucson company, Dayna moved on to be a Payroll Team Leader at Honeywell Inc.
During Dayna’s time at Honeywell she obtained her FPC (Fundamental Payroll Certification) through the American Payroll Association. She also received several merit awards for Customer Service and Acquisitions and Divestitures.
She is no stranger to teaching she has taught at the Metro Phoenix American Payroll Association meetings and at the Arizona State Payroll Conference. Topics including Payroll Basics, Global/Cultural Awareness, Immigration Basics for the Payroll Professional, Multi-State and Local Taxation and Quality Control for Payroll, International and Canadian payroll.
Dayna has her CPP (Certified Payroll Professional) through the APA. She also serves on the National American Payroll Association on the National Strategic Leadership Task Force, Government Affairs Task Force (PA Local tax subcommittee). Dayna has received a Citation of Merit for her service along with being a Gold Pin member of the APA.
This 60-minute program will provide expert solutions for navigating the ten most common payroll areas where mistakes and penalties happen, plus includes a detailed discussion on how to stay compliant in each of those areas.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org