Travel Pay Compliance: Latest Rules & Requirements
Determining how to compensate your employees when they travel for work can be a real headache for payroll, especially if the travel time results in overtime being owed to the employee.
The DOL and the IRS have strict regulations on when employees can be paid for travel expenses without it being considered wages. In this 60-minute event, we'll give you clear guidance on the newest rules and regulations that must be followed when paying an employee for travel. Join us as we discuss:
- What is considered travel pay under today's regulations
- Tax rules for meals & entertainment expenses
- How travel time affects overtime calculations
- The required rate of pay when travel time is compensable
- Regulations at the state level employers need to know
Travel Pay Guidelines: What to Do When Your Employees Travel
- When is travel time considered work time? Travel pay defined
- Latest travel pay requirements - what you must pay for, and why
- Which of your employees have to be paid and when
- Handling special circumstances that may require travel payment
- Understanding and using per diems
- Documentation and recordkeeping essentials for employers
Payroll Compliance & Travel Pay Issues: Avoid Wage & Hour Claims
- Tax laws that impact travel pay for employees
- Understanding when exactly travel payments are taxable
- Exempt v. non-exempt employees: How travel pay affects overtime
- Best practices for paying travel pay correctly
- When federal and state laws conflict, plus multiple state conflict issues
Live Question & Answer Session - Have your questions answered by the expert!
About the Speaker
Vicki M. Lambert, CPP, is President and Academic Director of The Payroll Advisor, a firm specializing in payroll education and training.
- With over 35 years of hands-on experience in all facets of payroll functions as well as over 20 years as a trainer and author, Ms. Lambert has become the most sought-after and respected voice in the practice and management of payroll issues.
- She has conducted open market training seminars on payroll issues across the United States that have been attended by executives and professionals from some of the most prestigious firms in business today.
- Ms. Lambert is an adjunct faculty member at Brandman University in Southern California and is the creator of and instructor for their Practical Payroll Online program, which is approved for re-certification hours by the APA.
In our in-depth, 60-minute event you'll learn how to accurately calculate travel pay and expenses, understand who qualifies, and the impact of the latest changes.
If you'd like this program customized for your organization, call us at 1-800-964-6033. We're certain we can fulfill your training needs, while making it fit in your budget!
Premier Learning Solutions is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. This program is valid for 1 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
This program has been approved for 1 (HR (General)) recertification credit hour toward aPHRTM, aPHRiTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Learn more at hrci.org