Travel Pay: Complying with the New Rules & Regulations
Determining how to compensate your employees when they travel for work can be a real head-ached for payroll, especially with the changes under the Tax Cuts & Jobs Act - and now the new FLSA overtime thresholds.
But it isn't just the DOL that's interested in travel pay. The IRS also has strict regulations on when employees can be paid for travel expenses without it being considered wages. In this 60-minute event, we'll give you clear guidance on the rules and regulations that must be followed when paying an employee for travel. Join us as we discuss:
- What is considered travel pay under today's regulations
- New tax rules for meals & entertainment expenses
- How travel time affects overtime calculations
- The required rate of pay when travel time is compensable
- Regulations at the state level employers need to know
Travel Pay Guidelines: What to Do When Your Employees Travel
- When is travel time considered work time? Travel pay defined
- Latest travel pay requirements - what you must pay for, and why
- Which of your employees have to be paid and when
- Handling special circumstances that may require travel payment
Payroll Compliance & Travel Pay Issues: Avoid Wage & Hour Claims
- New tax laws that impact travel pay for employees
- Understanding when exactly travel payments are taxable
- Exempt v. non-exempt employees: How travel pay affects overtime
- Documentation and recordkeeping essentials for employers
Federal & State Regulations: Where They Intersect and What it Means
- When federal and state laws conflict, plus multiple state conflict issues
- Complying with the DOL, FLSA and the IRS rules
- Best practices for paying travel pay correctly
Live Question & Answer Session - Have your questions answered by the expert!
About the Speaker
Vicki M. Lambert, CPP, is President and Academic Director of The Payroll Advisor, a firm specializing in payroll education and training.
- With over 35 years of hands-on experience in all facets of payroll functions as well as over 20 years as a trainer and author, Ms. Lambert has become the most sought-after and respected voice in the practice and management of payroll issues.
- She has conducted open market training seminars on payroll issues across the United States that have been attended by executives and professionals from some of the most prestigious firms in business today.
- Ms. Lambert is an adjunct faculty member at Brandman University in Southern California and is the creator of and instructor for their Practical Payroll Online program, which is approved for re-certification hours by the APA.
In our in-depth, 60-minute webinar event you'll learn how to accurately calculate travel pay and expenses, understand who qualifies, and the impact of changes under the new tax reform.